Concede on the language of NFPA 13, on the system side of the
system control, check and alarm valves.  Then send him a cut sheet on an alarm
valve. And point out you are on the system side of all those things that exist.
 Some of them don't, like an alarm valve.

Then stop calling it a manifold.  You can't have a manifold on a single riser
system.  So concede a manifold is an alarm valve (which is his mistake). Then
argue you don't have a manifold either.

And if he doesn't like that what he/you are calling a manifold I assume is a
system riser by definition in 3.5.12 ('13) and those by definition do not
include a check valve. And a system riser is not included in the requirements
for a FDC location.  You can have the FDC on either side of a system riser
(with the exception of the control valve of course).

Call NFPA/have him call NFPA.  Anything in the handbook that has a picture?

Chris Cahill, PE*
Senior Fire Protection Engineer, Aviation & Facilities Group
Burns & McDonnell
8201 Norman Center Drive
Bloomington, MN 55437
Phone:  952.656.3652
Fax:  952.229.2923
ccah...@burnsmcd.com
www.burnsmcd.com

Proud to be one of FORTUNE's 100 Best Companies to Work For
*Registered in: MN