Ron:

If a fire catches at the bottom of the bag, it will be so quickly consumed
that it effectively will offer no obstruction to the rising plume, and
probably no obstruction to the falling sprinkler water.   Uninvolved bags
could pose obstructions to spray reaching secondary targets further afield.
 Tighter spacing of sprinklers may address this second concern, depending
on the geometry of the bag layouts.

Depending on bag spacing (if the bags are spaced far enough apart) ignition
in one non-combustible bag would not ignite other neighboring bags.  If the
bags are combusitble, then the spacing would have to be subtantial;  if the
bags are noncombustible (Pb < 20% for non-comb bags) then it is possible
the entire contents of one bag would burn away before igniting a secondary
bag.   But, combustible bags... yikes!

I suggest you burn one, stand back, and then afterwards decide if we really
could protect this.  Near to the time when the first sprinkler activates, I
perceive the bag will probably be consumed.

> Scot Deal

Excelsior Fire/Risk Engineering