It first appeared in the 1999 ed of 13 (the edition that incorporated the 
storage standards).  I ever so vaguely remember it.  I believe it was just not 
realized prior to that and the starting point of the discussion was that these 
fire (especially racks) are much more challenging with a very rapid growth and 
all the criteria testing was with a flat ceiling.  There was no real data 
indicating the ability to control these challenging fires with a sloped ceiling 
and we arrived at the current criteria.

Roland


Roland Huggins, PE - VP Engineering
American Fire Sprinkler Assn.       ---      Fire Sprinklers Saves Lives
Dallas, TX
http://www.firesprinkler.org





On Feb 4, 2014, at 3:36 PM, Gregg Fontes <[email protected]> wrote:

> Could someone verify that I am correct in thinking that the 2:12 slope 
> ceiling limit for storage above 12'-0 was first stated in the 1999 Edition of 
> NFPA 13 and was not in NFPA 231 or 231C?
> 
> Thanks,
> Gregg Fontes

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

Reply via email to