I'm not seeing a conflict they work together.  23.4.4.1.1.4 sends you to 
11.1.2. If you have a barrier capable of preventing heat from one area fusing 
heads in another (2) you don't need to extend the area 15' beyond (1).  So is 
the loading dock separate?  

For discussion I'm assuming it is. Sounds like you need to calc two areas, the 
attic traditional not considering the loading dock and not worry about 
23.4.4.1.1.4 and then calculate the few heads in the loading dock with a total 
flow of 507 (OHII@2525) or 390 (OHII@1950 if the slope doesn't extend to the 
dock.     

For discussion I'm assuming it isn't. Sounds like you need to calc two areas, 
the attic traditional not considering the loading dock and not worry about 
23.4.4.1.1.4 and then calculate the few heads in the loading dock plus whatever 
gets you 15' beyond (presumably in the attic) with a total flow of 507 
(OHII@2525).     

At least that's the way I read it. I guess I'm close to you choice 2.  I read 
the background on the changes and still don't understand why it got in there.  
Seemed like a solution searching for a problem that didn't exist.  But now with 
your example I'm thinking the reasoning was to lessen the total requirements?  

Couple interesting questions I don't have answers for really. What is said 
barrier need to be and how long does it need to last? When calc'ing the attic 
without a barrier do you have to extend 15' into the loading dock?  If so does 
it balance in or does it need to meet the presumed OHII density?  See when you 
have a high hazard and balance in the lower hazard the minimum for the lower 
hazard is almost always met, not necessarily the other way around. 

It's been a few days and not a lot of discussion hopefully there will be more.  

Chris Cahill, PE*
Associate Fire Protection Engineer 
Burns & McDonnell
8201 Norman Center Drive
Bloomington, MN 55437
Phone:  952.656.3652
Fax:  952.229.2923
[email protected]
www.burnsmcd.com

Proud to be one of FORTUNE's 100 Best Companies to Work For
*Registered in: MN





-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] 
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of IPA
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2014 12:20 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: NFPA 13: 11.1.2 VS. 23.4.4.1.1.4

2013 EDITION NFPA 13

Is 23.4.4.1.1.4 just another option to those already listed in 11.1.2? I'm 
trying to figure out if one takes precedence over the other. My case is:

Dry pipe system in unused attic (light hazard). Dry pipe system continues from 
attic to a small adjacent loading dock outside. The two options I'm pondering 
are:

1.) I can calc 2535 sq. ft. (dry system increase + roof pitch increase) and 
start out at the loading dock (ordinary group II) and include the attic
(LH) in the remainder of the square footage, calculating each with their 
appropriate densities but obviously resulting in a lot of the attic having 
larger branchlines than necessary. per NFPA 13: 11.1.2


OR


2.) Per 23.4.4.1.1.4 it looks like I could just calculate the few sprinklers in 
the loading dock at ordinary group 2, compare it to the required flow for 2,535 
sq. ft. and tack the difference on at the branchline farthest from the source 
(which would happen to be at the loading dock anyway) and call it good.

Does one take precedence in this case?

Thanks for any insight...
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

Reply via email to