To show how futile it is here is word for word the letter they wrote minus the
names and places.

"Per our discussion on 7/14/2014 regarding the Fire Pumps at Blah Blah Parkway,
Project Blah Blah, within Blah Blah industrial center, Blah Blah Blah Fire
Protection District is exercising its right to withdraw the approval of the
Fire Sprinkler Plans based on several factors..

1. During previous discussion with Mr. So and So there was a mutual understand
that Mr. So and So would provide Balh Blah Fire Protection District with
contacts to a Fire Protection Engineer in which he did not do.

2. When the plans were submitted, we were led to believe that the pumps in the
submittal were capable of supplying 2,250 GPM at 100% capacity, which would
have exceeded our need for 4,000 GPM. Once the plans were submitted, the pump
curve test, with the delivery of the pumps, we discovered they were 1,500 GPM
not 2,250 GPM and that the 2,250 GPM that was supplies to us was at 150% of the
capacity of the pump.

3. The building requires 8,000 GPM as a basic fire flow.

Per Blah Blah Fire Protection Districts Adopted Fire Code Appendix B 105.2 Fire
Flow Requirements for buildings: a reduction in fire flow of up to 50 percent.
As approved, is allowed when the building is provided with an approved
automatic sprinkler system.

This would make the requirement 4,000 GPM or (a combination of two 2,000 GPM
pumps that are capable of 4,000 GPM at 100 percent of the pumps rated capacity)

4. NFPA 20 A4.8 The performance of the pump when applied at capacities over 140
percent of rated capacity can be adversely affected by the suction conditions.
Application of the pump at capacities less than 90 percent of the rate capacity
is NOT recommended.

The selection and application of the fire pump should not be confused with the
pump operating conditions. With proper suction conditions the pump can operate
at any point of is characteristic curve from shutoff to 150 percent of its
rated capacity.

5. UFC-P1003.2.1.17.6 Pump Size states that Fire pumps shall be sized at their
rated UL or FM capacity at 100 percent of the required flow.

At this time, Blah blah Fire Protection District is denying said plans and is
requesting a re-submittal of new plans that exceed IFC, UFC , and NFPA
standards.

Sincerely,"
The Badge

To top it off UFC isn't even listed as an adopted code, they only list IFC.
They did ask if I could get a registered FPE to write a letter about the pump
size. I said yes and they said it won't help and that they want the pumps
changed anyway. I'm not kidding. This is really how the conversation went.
Ron F