Is the egg-crate made of plastic? If so, does that make a difference in the fire load? And is the fire considered a fire in motion?

-----Original Message----- From: AKS-Gmail-IMAP
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 9:01 PM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: Re: False Ceiling formed by soffits (29" in height) has gratedpaneling to HVAC ductwork above regular ceiling.

The center area of egg-crate is essentially not a ceiling. It is a large area of missing ceiling. You have a pocket which you would evaluate if the ceiling at the edge of the opening turned up as a vertical closure surface to meet the deck above. But in this case I bet there is no vertical closure. What you really have is the ceiling at the deck above with a series of obstructions for the sprinklers that should be up at the deck, including that perimeter ceiling. You have the exception for return air openings but there is no rule for quantifying the allowed size. Say you are the AHJ standing underneath this opening looking up through this large void where there is not a sprinkler in sight. There will be trouble if the first thing that comes to mind is, “Something is wrong here.” , instead of, “Oh I get it. It is an exempt return air opening.”.

What really is going on? Is this the ceiling solution for not replacing the grid on one side because the grids in the two rooms did not line up after the wall was removed? “Lets just leave a big hole with some crating like it was intended to be that way. Nobody will notice."

Allan Seidel
St. Louis, MO