I figured an open container of fluid would be the same throughout the container, or a homogeneous solution. But I did not expect that a closed container would be a homogeneous solution. So why do we need a test drain at the far end of the pipe, and why do we need another test port at mid-center, if the system is 150 gallons or more? And at what point does stratification become important? Two stories, four or ten stories. Is there a point where we should add a circulating pump to insure the antifreeze level is the same through the piping?

I have ordered more glycol antifreeze. We will drain all the antifreeze into clean three 55 gallon barrels. That will allow us to know the pipe capacity. After draining the system, we will connect the vacuum to the piping to make sure we have all the fluid out of the piping. Then we can add enough antifreeze to protect the building. What is left, we will pump into the sewer system. They have their own on-site sewage treatment, 2 open ponds.

Thanks to those who responed.

-----Original Message----- From: AKS-Gmail-IMAP
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 9:33 PM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: Re: Antifreeze system

According to Dow Chemical propylene glycol is completely soluble in all proportions in water. It “dissolved" into the water. A liquid dissolving into another is a notion we rarely think about. You ended up with about 90 gallons good for 15F. That is 25% glycol or 22.5 gallons glycol in a 90 gallon mixture. You had planned for 60 gallons mixed. That would be 22.5 gallons glycol in 60 gallons total. That is about 37% glycol. So you must have been shooting for about 0 F. In other words the premix was for about 0F in order for the numbers to make sense.

Allan Seidel
St. Louis, MO