I love the way we’re all in this together until something goes wrong, then the 
GC starts pointing fingers.

From a consultant’s perspective, the GC is at fault for not submitting an RFI 
to clarify a conflict in the CD’s.

Steve L.

From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:[email protected]] On 
Behalf Of Ben Young
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2016 8:14 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Drawing orders of hierarchy

Kind of strange, but does anyone know where I can find in writing somewhere 
some common sense info on the hierarchy of contract drawings?
Here's the issue:
Main floor print shows a particular wall as being 'type g' which is indicated 
as being full-height in the wall types plans.
Also shows the walls as not being 'connected' to the other walls it intersects 
with, which I know means its normally a different wall material, type, or some 
other indication of being 'not the same'
On the detail drawings for these areas, there's a note that says this 
particular wall is to only be 6'-6" in height and not going up to the deck.

GC is trying to claim that since the drywaller followed the overall plans, and 
we followed the detail plans, we're both equally at fault for this one.
I know that's ridiculous since just like dealing with codes, you can have a 
broad rule (wall type G) and then all specific exceptions to that rule on a 
case-by-case basis (a note saying this wall isn't full height)
Similar to a note that says 'all walls to be full height unless indicated 
otherwise.'
I'm pretty comfortable defending my position, especially since the overall 
floor plans have a note to reference the detail drawings.
FYI, this is a hotel, and the main floor plans don't show the notes, but the 
unit plans (plan, finish, interior elevations, etc) do.
I'm just wondering if there's some obscure AIA document that says how this is 
supposed to work, or anything I can fall back on besides common sense, which we 
all know doesn't exist inside most superintendent's offices on construction 
projects.
For the record, I showed the walls dashed on my plans which indicates a wall 
that doesn't cross the RCP cut plane, and there's a counter in the room which 
has the same dashed linetype.  Both were not indicated as dashed on the 
architectural plans, so I changed them on my RCPs for submittal based on the 
notes on the unit drawings.
Yes, this involves a change order over added heads.
There's nothing in the specs or drawings that I can definitively point to that 
says what I'm looking for, so this is a last ditch effort.
Also, my plans have already been approved by the A/E team, and the AHJ.  We 
only noticed this when we saw the wall framing going up to the ceiling on-site.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ben

Benjamin Young
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

Reply via email to