Well I finally read the book and now I have to correct myself-----

from 13-2016:

9.3.5.5.8 Lateral braces shall be allowed to act as longitudinal
braces if they are within 24 in. (600 mm) of the centerline of the
piping braced longitudinally and the lateral brace is on a pipe of
equal or greater size than the pipe being braced longitudinally.

(thanks for making me want to look Basil)

Brad

Quoting bcasterl...@fsc-inc.com:

"(as much as 4 feet away)?"

If you could get the main with-in 2 feet of the nearest joist you could stub out a 1x2-0 with a cap and put a lateral brace on it, or do that to a branch line if available. (See the fairly recent thread on Longitudinal Braces for CPVC Mains).

Hopefully Ken will comment on the, "Is it OK to kick the longitudinal brace at an angle ..." thing.

Brad

Quoting "Kyle.Montgomery" <kmontgom...@aerofire.com>:

What do you guys do for longitudinal bracing of mains when the main is trapezed between two structural members? This is in a warehouse with the bar joist structure with wood nailers and a plywood deck, so just attaching to the deck isn't an option.

Is it OK to kick the longitudinal brace at an angle to the nearest bar joist (as much as 4 feet away)? Technically, if you use a longitudinal pipe attachment (such as Tolco Fig. 4L), the brace is still acting "parallel to the axis of the system piping", but if you look at it in plan view it will look like a combination between a lateral and a longitudinal. And it will definitely impart some lateral force on the pipe.

We also considered running angle iron from joist to joist (attached to top chords) and attaching the longitudinal brace to that. But what size angle iron would we use?

I'm sure that a structural engineer could design several viable options, but I'm looking for something that is listed/prescriptive. I'm also interested in hearing what you've seen/done that might not be a listed method, just for ideas.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kyle Montgomery
[cid:image001.gif@01CAA0CE.8D8066F0]
Aero Automatic Sprinkler Co.