I think there are only a couple of minor things you can do once you choose the density/area method, by the book Bob.

I reached the limit of my reasoning ability about this a few years ago:

The shape of the LH density/area curve comes mostly from, "what will a LH Pipe Scheduled system deliver with a--- *Low Water Supply, **Medium Water Supply, ***High Water Supply.

Pipe Scheduled Systems was used as the base because they had worked so well in small towns and big cities all over the world for many years. I pipe scheduled systems my first several years and I just counted heads- I ignored the walls- simple, and that's how I think it should be when choosing this method.

 Brad.

Quoting Bob <b...@firebyknight.com>:

When applying the 3000 sf design area required for unsprinklered combustible
concealed spaces, can the area be smaller than 3000 sf based on the
surrounding walls and ceiling assemblies all being one hour fire rated?  In
this situation I have rooms that are separated from the other areas that are
only 1400 sf or so.  The space above the ceiling is double wood construction
with only a few inches separating joist.  The areas are light hazard.

Thank you,

Bob Knight, CET III

208-318-3057

FBK-LOGO-SMALL