Steve,

The owner and architect had an engineer review and design/spec this system. I
assume they looked at the building code and established criteria. However, what
they came up with is a 74 nozzle open deluge system that has to be included
with the sprinkler design. And the locations are not correct so I have no idea
what the final count will be. Approximately 2/3 of it I haven’t found any
exposure.

I submitted to the contractor to send an RFI saying it is outside of the scope
of NFPA 13. We shall see what happens. (There are other RFIs as well.

Unfortunately out here, no one hires independent FPEs to prepare specs. They
are all part of larger firms and quite a few of their engineers are plumbers
with a copy of 13.

 Todd G Williams, PE
Fire Protection Design/Consulting

Stonington, CT