Some points:

1) Check if the available volume really is 47,040 gallons. The nominal capacity
for a tank is not necessarily the actual capacity, You’ll need to determine the
actual tank volume from the outlet point to the practical operating fill point.
The practical fill point depends on the hardware used to keep the tank filled.
That hardware can take up space. According to your numbers with four tanks
there is only 740 gallons to play with in each tank.

2) Yes venting is required and its required size is probably at least 3”
diameter. An overflow, a hatch to fit a person, an internal ladder and probably
an external visual water level indicator would be necessary. A proper outlet
system with properly designed vortex plate is necessary or you’ll be sucking
air for sure. Not knowing what the tank looks like and since the FD is using
their pump, something like a good sized dead leg where foreign objects can drop
into instead of entering their pump might be viewed as a plus to negate the
compromises this tank farm is going to have.

3) Under the best conditions with four tanks manifolded together you are
drawing about 200 gpm per tank. Assume that situation is one of the operating
conditions. Calculate the energy losses in each of the four outlet systems to
the point where the 784 gpm occurs. From the differences in each outlet system
you will have a handle on how unequal each of the tank draws. Use that
information to design the equalization piping system needed between the tanks.
The tank system is going to need two independent manifold piping systems, with
valves of course. One is for suction. The other is for tank equalization. As
any one tank draws faster than the others, the others supply into that tank.
Consider the worst case where there is only one other tank to provide the
equalization flow instead of three other tanks.

4) Under the worst condition where three tanks have been valved off for some
reason you are drawing 784 gpm from one tank. This single tank condition and
the two and three tank conditions are some of the compromises. You’ll need to
check what is going on with each in regard to hydraulics and be upfront with
the FD. The ease to which the piping system layout is understood in the field
and the access ease to its valves might come into play. There might be a need
for a third set of valves to connect the suction manifold to the equalization
manifold so that two suction can occur through two outlets at once under the
reduced tank conditions. That's assuming you were trying to use the existing 2
3” outlets and they worked for the best conditions. That’s a maze of piping and
valves that’s probably not going to happen. Good luck working with the tough
conditions.

5) One might guess frack tanks are built for short term use. Perhaps that is
why they seemed like such a deal in the first place. You may be into some
required field modifications into and inside the tank. Some tank wall thickness
beefing up might be in order at modification locations and also at existing
outlet locations. You might also be into some internal coating requirements.

Best,
Allan Seidel