From: Parsley Consulting <parsleyconsult...@cox.net>
Date: 7/24/19 1:52 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: jvankol...@mfpc.us, sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: Re: CBC / CFC vs NFPA 13

It's not a silly question, Jerry, from my perspective at least.

There are any number of modifications to NFPA 13 which are state law in
California.  Chapter 80 of the California Fire Code identifies what standards
have been adopted into law in what disciplines, and contains the modifications
to those standards.

Two specific examples.  The CFC modifies the application of a reduction of the
hydraulic remote area when quick-response sprinklers are used to only apply to
light hazard occupancies, where -13 allows the reduction to apply to Ordinary
Hazard as well.  This is not permitted in California.

Further, the CFC requires that when such a reduction for QR sprinklers has been
performed that a minimum of seven sprinklers must be flowing in the supporting
hydraulic calculations, where this number if identified as five in -13.

Those two above are state law, which amends -13.  So, yes, the state code would
supersede NFPA 13.

sincerely,
Ken Wagoner, SET
Parsley Consulting