I am working on a car dealership with a service shop.  There is a 2,285 sf 
parts storage area in the middle of the building.  This area has a mezzanine at 
10'-6" AFF.  The engineer specified protection in accordance with NFPA 13 - 
Table 20.2 which requires 16 K25 sprinklers at 37 psi.  This equals over 2400 
GPM and is well above the available water supply.  I believe this protection is 
overkill for a couple of reasons:

  1.  We have no where near 25 ft of storage height since we have two levels.  
One is a total of 10'-6" and the second has a max ceiling height of 10'-11".
  2.  The selected table specifies portable racks (closed array) which does not 
describe a typical parts storage area with fixed shelves and aisles.

I have brought this to the design team's attention and they have asked for a 
recommendation.  Setting aside the, 'this is the engineer's job' conversation 
which I have had with them, I could use some input from the wisdom of the forum 
to make sure I am on the right track.  I'm following the engineer's thought 
with the Group A plastics mainly because I don't have all the commodity info I 
need and I'm looking at CMSA sprinklers.  The minimum protection scheme 
available is for 20 ft storage and 25 ft max ceiling height.  I'm choosing 15 
K16.8 sprinklers at 22 PSI.

My concern is the clearance to storage.  Based on the measurements shown in the 
screenshot below, with the 36" clearance requirement the max storage height I'm 
sure will be much lower than the shelving they will install in this space.

I know this is not an uncommon arrangement, so I'm sure this has been worked 
out by people much smarter than me.  Am I missing something in all of this?

[cid:db1a0fe7-8399-491e-b6af-93a25cee4ff7]

Micah Davis, SET
NICET #124745
Water Based Systems Layout, Level IV    Dynamic Fire Designs

Mail: [email protected]
Mobile: 931-242-1299
www.dynamicfiredesigns.com<http://dynamicfiredesigns.com/>

Dynamic Fire Designs • 247 Winthrop Dr. • Spring Hill • FL • 34609

This message is confidential. It may also be privileged or otherwise protected 
by work product immunity or other legal rules. If you have received it by 
mistake, please let us know by e-mail reply and delete it from your system; you 
may not copy this message or disclose its contents to anyone. The integrity and 
security of this message cannot be guaranteed on the Internet.

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/listinfo.cgi/sprinklerforum-firesprinkler.org

Reply via email to