I believe Automatics came out with the first Standard Spray Sprinklers in
1953. The SS had the U (upright) of P (pendant) designation and defined
their orientation. The "old-style" sprinklers or conventional sprinklers
manufactured before then could be installed in the upright or the pendant
positions. There are also some vertical sidewalls out there that look like
pendants with bent fins on about a quarter of the circumference. These
could be installed up or down with the bent fins towards the wall. I've
only seen Viking sidewalls like this but I can't say similar ones weren't
made by other manufacturers.