2019 9.2.2 Spaces Under Ground Floors, Exterior Docks, and Platforms or
possibly this one.
9.2.10* Equipment Enclosures. Sprinklers shall not be required to be
installed within electrical equipment, mechanical equipment, or air
handling units not intended for occupancy.
It is not the intent of 9.2.10 to require sprinklers to be installed in air
handling units (AHUs) or in similar mechanical or electrical equipment.
AHUs for large buildings and building complexes can be so large that it
brings into question whether sprinklers should be installed inside them.
Providing sprinkler protection in such units is not practical and would not
be overly effective based on the limited hazard present.
A.9.2.10 Equipment having access for routine maintenance should not be
considered as intended for occupancy.
AHUs that have access panels or “man doors" are not necessarily intended
for occupancy and should not be treated as such when applying 9.2.10. Often
the presence of an access hatch or other means to allow for equipment
maintenance is misconstrued as allowing occupancy of such a space.

Best regards,

*Joe Burtell, SET, CFPS*

[image: Burtell Fire_Small]

Phone | Fax | Mobile| Text *406-204-4653 <++1-406-204-4653>*

116 N. 11th Street | Billings, MT 59101

Email: j...@burtellfire.com

Web Site: http://www.burtellfire.com

*“**The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low
price is forgotten.**”*

*NOTICE:*  The information contained in this e-mail transmission is
intended only for use of the individual or entity named above.  This e-mail
transmission, and any documents, files, previous e-mail transmissions or
other information attached to it, may contain confidential information that
is legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail transmission, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it
to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this transmission or
any of the information contained in or attached to this e-mail is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail transmission in error, please
immediately notify us by return e-mail transmission and destroy the
original e-mail transmission as well as its attachments without reading or
saving it in any manner.  Thank you.