The prior editions of NFPA 24 do not restrict the use of non-metallic spigot
pieces (riser coming up through the floor from the underground piping)  I
discovered this fact a few years ago, while responding to the question when
doing Advisory Service for NFPA.  I was surprised and concerned for all of
the reasons of exposure now enumerated in the annex when installing
materials this way.

As for temperature, about 8 years ago, I was asked to evaluate a high
pressure problem at a high rise building in Honolulu, where the daily
pressures were excessive. Upon visiting the site, we discovered the
standpipes were interconnected at the top of the building (on the roof) as
opposed to the floor level.  The steel pipe was exposed to direct sunlight
every day...  increasing the system pressure significantly.  We proposed
tenting the pipe on the roof to solve the problem, which it did.

The above is my opinion and has not been processed as a formal
interpretation in accordance with the NFPA Regulations Governing Committee
Projects. This is provided with the understanding that the AFSA assumes no
liability for this opinion or actions taken on it and they are not to be
considered the official position of the AFSA, and/or NFPA or its technical
committees. AFSA cannot provide design or consulting engineering services,
and this opinion should therefore not be considered, nor relied upon, as
such.

Bob Caputo, President
American Fire Sprinkler Association