The architect has it backwards. The contract documents are where it needs to be
in writing that the fire sprinkler protection system must be designed and
installed in a specific manner. That specific manner must be explicitly stated
in the fire protection documents or be the unambiguous conclusion of the
document’s interpretation by an experienced fire protection contractor of
reasonable intelligence. If the specific design manner is somehow present in
documents excluded from the fire protection contractor, like sometimes happens
for any number of reasons, then the general contractor has a tit in the
wringer. You as contractor might be happy to volunteer ideas as to what color
the architect is going to paint the fire protection system components.

Allan Seidel
St. Louis, MO