NFPA 13 does provide rules for grooved piping.  These rules are copied from
the 2016 edition, so the current edition section numbers will be different.

6.5.3.1* Pipe, fittings, valves, and devices to be joined with grooved
couplings shall contain cut, rolled, or cast grooves that are dimensionally
compatible with the couplings.

6.5.3.1.1* Pipe, fittings, valves, devices, and couplings that conform with
or are listed in compliance with standardized groove specifications shall
be considered compatible.

6.5.3.1.2 Other groove dimensions and grooving methods shall be acceptable
in accordance with 6.5.5.1.

6.5.3.2 Grooved couplings, including gaskets used on dry pipe, preaction,
and deluge systems, shall be listed for dry service.

Coupling manufacturers are required to observe these dimensionally
compatible specifications so that any manufacturer’s couplings or fittings
will work with any other brand.

As always, the opinions expressed herein are my personal opinions and may
not be considered as the opinion of NFPA or its committees. This opinion
should not be considered or used as consultation services.

Bob Caputo, President
AFSA

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 8:55 AM Jamie Seidl via Sprinklerforum <
sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org> wrote:

> You are going to need to cite a specific section, and preferably provide a
> link to said section, otherwise we will not know what you're referencing.
> The link you provided takes you to a gateway page, and I don't think there
> are many of us that have the time to find roll groove specs in what appears
> to be a "spec book" web page.
> Can you give us a section you have in question?
>
> -Jamie Seidl
>
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 11:28 PM Phong - Indochine Engineering via
> Sprinklerforum <sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org> wrote:
>
> > Dear All,
> >
> > NATSPEC in Australia specify the application of mechanical roll-grooved
> > fittings: Provide only in sprinkler-protected areas.
> > https://www.natspec.com.au/
> >
> > I wonder why and if NFPA has a similar rule?
> >
> > Thanks for discussing.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Le Vu Phong
> > Mobile:  +84 (0) 902 363 525

Bob Caputo, CFPS
*President*

*American Fire Sprinkler Association*
p: 214-349-5965 ext124
w: firesprinkler.org
<https://www.facebook.com/firesprinkler.org/>
<https://twitter.com/afsa/status/1039528345367732224>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/american-fire-sprinkler-association-afsa-/>
   <https://www.instagram.com/firesprinklerorg/>

*Train a safer, more efficient workforce.*

By enrolling your employees in the AFSA Apprenticeship Training Series for
Sprinkler Fitters
<https://www.firesprinkler.org/WWW/Education/Apprentice_Training/WWW/Education/Apprenticeship_Training.aspx?hkey=e88ef09e-d74c-407f-abcd-995aff866149>,
you will reap the benefits of a qualified, professional installation crew.
Well-trained employees will work smarter, increasing your company's
productivity and, in turn, its profits. Learn more
.