From: Bob Caputo <bcap...@firesprinkler.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2021 1:35 AM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Cc: Prahl, Craig/GVL <craig.pr...@jacobs.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Sprinkler protection in a freezer warehouse - with
plastics

Craig,

As you know, the commodity classification is based on the product, the
packaging and the pallet type.  As such, your foam trays have to be taken into
account by weight or by volume.  NFPA 13, Fig 20.4.3.3(a) and (b) and I don’t
have a book with me but pretty sure frozen food on polystyrene trays is listed
as a Group A plastic in the annex list….

Not sure NFPA 13 has any dark corners, though the color of the new edition is
dark gray ;-)

Bob Caputo, Lurking the dark corners of Dubai this week
AFSA

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 2:49 AM Prahl, Craig/GVL via Sprinklerforum
<sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org<mailto:sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org>>
 wrote:
I have searched the from the deepest depths to the highest heights within NFPA
13 for a solution and am coming up empty.

We have a freezer warehouse, storing packaged meats on foam trays which are
placed in plastic trays. The frozen meat per NFPA 13 is a class III, the kicker
is the exposed, expanded plastic tray which represents about 63% of the package
load.  They claim to only put about 2.5 lbs of meat in a plastic tray that
weighs 4.4 lbs.  This is pushing us into considering this as a Group A plastic
commodity.

I have found no system criteria for a freezer warehouse with 22' of racked
storage and a 30 ft ceiling/roof height and exposed, unexpanded group A
plastic.  Any options we find show them as being Wet systems only.

I am starting to dig into the FM data sheets but was looking to see if anyone
has any insight or if I've missed some option hidden away in the dark corners
of NFPA 13.

Quell only goes up to Class III commodities.

Craig Prahl | Jacobs | Group Lead/SME – Fire Protection |
craig.pr...@jacobs.com<mailto:craig.pr...@jacobs.com> |
www.jacobs.com<http://www.jacobs.com>
1041 East Butler Road   Greenville, South Carolina  29606
CONTACT BY: email or MS TEAMS

Bob Caputo, CFPS
President
American Fire Sprinkler Association
p:
214-349-5965 ext124
w:
firesprinkler.org<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/firesprinkler.org/__;!!B5cixuoO7ltTeg!SHycX8qtIZsWqnKwEZglXC81SO49YCxqvlrdYI2bTScQmy_22_sEWQFUdyNZmc5rZg$>
[http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/184235/dev_images/signature_app/facebook_sig.png]<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.facebook.com/firesprinkler.org/__;!!B5cixuoO7ltTeg!SHycX8qtIZsWqnKwEZglXC81SO49YCxqvlrdYI2bTScQmy_22_sEWQFUdyOwPuekxA$>

[http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/184235/dev_images/signature_app/twitter_sig.png]
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/twitter.com/afsa/status/1039528345367732224__;!!B5cixuoO7ltTeg!SHycX8qtIZsWqnKwEZglXC81SO49YCxqvlrdYI2bTScQmy_22_sEWQFUdyNbEO0lyA$>

[http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/184235/dev_images/signature_app/linkedin_sig.png]

<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.linkedin.com/company/american-fire-sprinkler-association-afsa-/__;!!B5cixuoO7ltTeg!SHycX8qtIZsWqnKwEZglXC81SO49YCxqvlrdYI2bTScQmy_22_sEWQFUdyPSAdn_Bw$>

[http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/184235/dev_images/signature_app/instagram_sig.png]

<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.instagram.com/firesprinklerorg/__;!!B5cixuoO7ltTeg!SHycX8qtIZsWqnKwEZglXC81SO49YCxqvlrdYI2bTScQmy_22_sEWQFUdyPzFByHBA$>
Train a safer, more efficient workforce.
By enrolling your employees in the AFSA Apprenticeship Training Series for
Sprinkler
Fitters<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.firesprinkler.org/WWW/Education/Apprentice_Training/WWW/Education/Apprenticeship_Training.aspx?hkey=e88ef09e-d74c-407f-abcd-995aff866149__;!!B5cixuoO7ltTeg!SHycX8qtIZsWqnKwEZglXC81SO49YCxqvlrdYI2bTScQmy_22_sEWQFUdyOKppSKgQ$>,
 you will reap the benefits of a qualified, professional installation crew.
Well-trained employees will work smarter, increasing your company's
productivity and, in turn, its profits. Learn
more<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.firesprinkler.org/WWW/Education/Apprentice_Training/WWW/Education/Apprenticeship_Training.aspx?hkey=e88ef09e-d74c-407f-abcd-995aff866149__;!!B5cixuoO7ltTeg!SHycX8qtIZsWqnKwEZglXC81SO49YCxqvlrdYI2bTScQmy_22_sEWQFUdyOKppSKgQ$>.