As noted in the NFPA 13, 2013 edition handbook, "Prior to the 2010
edition, 7.2.3.9 conflicted with the requirement in 7.4.4.1 that combined
dry pipe and preaction systems be subdivided as well as contradictory to
the requirement in 7.9.2.8.4(5) for separate indicating control valves and
check valves for ceiling and in-rack preaction systems, as indicated in
figure 7.9.2.8.4. If subdivision is necessary for those systems, there is
no reason that it should not be acceptable for dry pipe systems, which
operate in similar fashion."

Section 7.2.3.9 was revised in the 2010 edition of NFPA 13 because it was
contradictory to 7.4.5.1

Yes, the reason for sub dividing dry pipe (and preaction systems) is/was
to speed the water delivery time by not having to exhasut air in the parts
of systems not in the direct path of water flow to open sprinklers. All
check valves require internal inspection at 5 year intervals per NFPA 25
but the concern noted by the submitter of the change (AFSA rep Roland
Huggins) in his statement included in the PI. was that check valves could
be frozen closed and not observed, since most inspections are performed in
warm months.

The installation committee agreed that check valve may still be used but
require installation in a heated enclosure to ensure operability.

As always, the above is the opinion of the writer and may not be
considered as a formal interpretation of NFPA 13, and does not necessarily
reflect to views of NFPA or it committees. This opinion should net be
relied upon as consultation.

Bob Caputo, CFPS
President
American Fire Sprinkler Association