The building is new wood frame with insulated roof deck over the Attics. The
roof pitches range from 8:12 – 12:12. Occupancy is Hotel, 3 story built into
hillside with full Attic. This fully insulated Attic shall remain above 40°
F. which would allow installation of wet pipe system.

Two air handling units (1 at each end of the Attic) will be suspended from
the Roof. Each unit occupies about 160 SF of area in an Attic of about 9,400
SF. These AHUs will have propane fired furnaces. I have already spoken with
Mechanical Engineer and he has suggested that the Fire boxes could be
replaced with forced hot water coils if needed. There will be service
platforms built underneath and around these AHUs for servicing only. No
Walls, Service doors and ladder from floor below only to access the AHUs.
No storage and Public will not have access.

Could this be considered “Unused Attic”?  I have laid out sprinkler coverage
using QR listed heads in accordance with NFPA 13, 10.2.4.2 and Table
10.2.4.2.1(a) and 10.2.6.1.4. I believe this layout should also qualify for
Ordinary Hazard per Table 10.2.4.2.1(b), 2022 edition.

I wish NFPA would define “Unused Attic”. This term is used in NFPA 13 so why
not define it. Or do I treat the entire Attic spaces as “Mechanical Room”?

Thank you advance.

Regards,

G. Tim Stone

G. Tim Stone Consulting, LLC

NICET Level III Engineering Technician

Fire Protection Sprinkler Design

and Consulting Services

   117 Old Stage Rd. - Essex Jct., VT. 05452

                 CELL: (802) 373-0638

              <mailto:tston...@comcast.net> tston...@comcast.net