From: Anthony Johnson <mountainfirepr...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2023 2:30 PM
To: Discussion list on issues relating to automatic fire sprinklers
<sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org>
Subject: [Sprinklerforum] Paint Booths Calculation

Hello everybody, For a cabinet shop paint booth the overhead system was
designed to an Ord Group II occupancy and the owner is now installing a spray
booth. The last booth I sprinklered was over a decade ago and things have
changed since then.
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
This Message Is From an Untrusted Sender
You have not previously corresponded with this sender.
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd
Hello everybody,

For a cabinet shop paint booth the overhead system was designed to an Ord Group
II occupancy and the owner is now installing a spray booth. The last booth I
sprinklered was over a decade ago and things have changed since then. In the
past I would just calculate all the sprinklers in the booth. Now we have
criteria for mixed occupancies which require a phantom flow at the most remote
branchline if your system flow is less than density x sq. ft. (NFPA 27.2.4.2.4
- 2019 ed). In the 2013 edition handbook there was an AHJ FAQ that brought up
the exact scenario I'm in and said that you would comply with 27.2.4.2.4
HOWEVER I noticed that the AHJ FAQ does not exist in the 2019 edition and at
the end of the day it's just an AHJ FAQ and is not even appendix material so I
know it carries no weight but I want to make sure I nail this right. On one
hand I'm thinking this is not an area/density calc so I should just stick to
calculating only the booth, maybe by appealing to the room design method OR
take worse case scenario and add the considerable phantom gpm flow and 500 gpm
hose allowance which would require major upgrades. Guidance and thought would
be appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony Johnson
Mountain Fire Protection
'Saving Lives and Valuing Property'

[https://s-install.avcdn.net/ipm/preview/icons/icon-envelope-tick-green-avg-v1.png]<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail__;!!FaxH778!YG5fQeYRGxZ0g7yGv65McYDjQl-5PuE_4DfW-o9VqUQjEeLunWeEm2lUcYCc_YrdXd_uoGIXuZMGDvWw6rEhFqL-mUY$>

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential,
proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege
is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in
error, please  immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system,
destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or
indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message
if you are not the intended recipient.