Bruce,

And your comment prompts this caveat from me regarding the application of 8-9.

Quite some time ago I learned from FM Global, that to appropriately use 8-9 as establishing the criteria for protection of storage that the entire fire sprinkler system has to meet FM Global guide documents.  It isn't a matter of designing/installing a system per -13 and selecting the protection criteria for storage from 8-9.

The system has to conform to all of the FM Global data sheets, beginning with 2-0.

And just a question out of curiosity, Scot, when I looked at the reference to 2.2.4.3 of sheet 8-9, I saw that it covered "rack storage" which was not what Steve was asking about.  Wouldn't 2.3.3.7 and Tables 3 through 5 be more applicable as they include "bin-box" storage arrangements?

sincerely,
*Ken Wagoner, SET*
*Parsley Consulting
500 West Mechanic Street
Harrisonville, Missouri 64701-2235*
*Phone: (760) 745-6181 *
*Visit the website <https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fwww.parsleyconsulting.com%2f&c=E,1,Y5zKJKPEh1mBEBqSR-VE9cUKl5y-eyP8BpvmE_5j9ZqW2eJbNphYzrCMBZ-2YuX6d-RRkHI4gQ1FV-cvOeCfRC58uZS9NiToZv2mx7909oCqLvCW_n5hDHeK&typo=1>*