If it qualifies as Obstructed Construction by definition:

*10.2.6.1.2 Obstructed Construction.*

Under obstructed construction, the sprinkler deflector shall be located in
accordance with one of the following arrangements:

   - (1) Installed with the deflectors within the horizontal planes of
   1 in. to 6 in. (25 mm to 150 mm) below the structural members and a maximum
   distance of 22 in. (550 mm) below the ceiling/roof deck
   - (2) Installed with the deflectors at or above the bottom of the
   structural member to a maximum of 22 in. (550 mm) below the ceiling/roof
   deck where the sprinkler is installed in conformance with *10.2.7.2*
   <https://link.nfpa.org/publications/13/2022/chapters/10#ID000130001317>
   - (3) Installed in each bay of obstructed construction, with the
   deflectors located a minimum of 1 in. (25 mm) and a maximum of 12 in.
   (300 mm) below the ceiling
   - (4) Installed with the deflectors within the horizontal planes 1 in.
   to 6 in. (25 mm to 150 mm) below composite wood joists to a maximum
   distance of 22 in. (550 mm) below the ceiling/roof deck only where joist
   channels are fire-stopped to the full depth of the joists with material
   equivalent to the web construction so that individual channel areas do not
   exceed 300 ft2 (28 m2)

But I’m guessing your situation doesn’t meet that definition….

*Bob Caputo, CFPS*

*President*

*American Fire Sprinkler Association*

c:     760-908-7753

p:

214-349-5965 ext124

w:

firesprinkler.org

<https://www.facebook.com/firesprinkler.org/>
<https://twitter.com/afsa/status/1039528345367732224>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/american-fire-sprinkler-association-afsa-/>
   <https://www.instagram.com/firesprinklerorg/>

*Our new address is 1410 East Renner Rd., Suite 150, Richardson, TX 75082*

*Need a Refresher on Hand Calculations?*

During AFSA’s three-day in-person Sprinkler Hydraulic Calculations
Workshop, learn and apply principles of hydraulics, including the different
types of pressure, calculating changes in pressure (elevation and friction
loss), and node analysis. Click here
<https://www.firesprinkler.org/calendarevent/sprinkler-hydraulic-calculations-workshop-4/>
for details and to register.