I would design using the duct criteria since the pit is after the filters.
I think it's considered the plenum which is part of the exhaust ductwork.
Just my opinion.
rick

On Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 4:37 PM Anthony Johnson <[email protected]>
wrote:

> The pit has a metal grate over it with the filters being installed just
> below the grate. It then turns the corner and goes up out the exhaust
> stack. I would normally just consider the exhaust stack as the exhaust
> 'duct' and not the entire pit but then I got to thinking. On a friday
> afternoon that's probably a bad idea.
>
>
>
> <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
> Virus-free.www.avg.com
> <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
> <#m_-5211560169863844847_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
>
> On Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 2:20 PM BRUCE VERHEI <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I’d expect the underfloor to have two sections. One the plenum, is
>> immediately below the filter bank.
>>
>> The second is the exhaust duct.
>>
>> Best.
>>
>> bv
>>
>> On 08/18/2023 12:50 PM PDT Rick Matsuda <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> Yes, install sprinklers in the pit and along any “ductwork” that goes
>> from the pit to the exterior.
>>
>> On Aug 18, 2023, at 2:43 PM, Anthony Johnson <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Folks,
>> Quick one for the day - is a paintbooth pit to be considered as a duct? I
>> know most people, at least I do, think of a duct as a cylindrical or
>> rectangular sheet metal tube for ventilation. A quick google dictionary
>> defines it as a tube or 'passageway' for converting air, liquid whatever.
>> That leads me to the question of whether a downflow paintbooth pit would be
>> considered a duct for design purposes and would require the duct protection
>> criteria of NFPA 33 which requires a minimum of 30 gpm at 15 psi for the
>> sprinklers?
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Anthony Johnson
>> Mountain Fire Protection
>> 'Saving Lives and Valuing Property'
>>
>>
>> <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
>> Virus-free.www.avg.com
>> <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
>>
>> _________________________________________________________
>> SprinklerForum mailing list:
>>
>> https://lists.firesprinkler.org/list/sprinklerforum.lists.firesprinkler.org
>> To unsubscribe send an email to
>> [email protected]
>>
>>
>> _________________________________________________________
>> SprinklerForum mailing list:
>>
>> https://lists.firesprinkler.org/list/sprinklerforum.lists.firesprinkler.org
>> To unsubscribe send an email to
>> [email protected]
>>
>>
>> _________________________________________________________
>> SprinklerForum mailing list:
>>
>> https://lists.firesprinkler.org/list/sprinklerforum.lists.firesprinkler.org
>> To unsubscribe send an email to
>> [email protected]
>
>
> _________________________________________________________
> SprinklerForum mailing list:
> https://lists.firesprinkler.org/list/sprinklerforum.lists.firesprinkler.org
> To unsubscribe send an email to
> [email protected]
_________________________________________________________
SprinklerForum mailing list:
https://lists.firesprinkler.org/list/sprinklerforum.lists.firesprinkler.org
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]

Reply via email to