From: Scott Harvey <sc...@harveyplumbing.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2024 10:09 PM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: [Sprinklerforum] Sprinklers in empty shell space

Good evening, I have a question for the group.

I’m working with a General Contractor who removed the drop ceiling in an old
Sears store. They are doing a T.I. for approx 1/3 of the space making it into a
medical office, the remaining 2/3 will remain an empty shell. Now that the
ceiling is gone the sprinklers are 6-8 ft below the roof deck.

What is typical to protect an empty shell in this situation?  Likely a ceiling
will be reinstalled when the space gets reoccupied so it seems a little
wasteful to relocate the sprinklers up to within 12” of the roof deck to
protect an empty non combustible structure.