Steel piping should not be an issue.  There may be some concern with
plastic piping.

Here is the general requirement from the 2021 IMC.  No specific prohibition
on plastic piping I could locate, assuming it meets the flame spread
requirements.

*602.2.1 Materials within plenums. Except as required by Sections 602.2.1.1
through 602.2.1.8, materials within plenums shall be noncombustible or
shall be listed andlabeled as having a flame spread index of not more than
25 and a smoke-developed index of not more than 50 when tested in
accordance with ASTM E84 or UL 723.*

Mike Slaughter
Risk Reduction Division
Travis County Emergency Services District 2
Office:    (512) 989-4531
mslaugh...@pflugervillefire.org