From: Chris Dorn <chris.d...@dornfireprotection.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2024 12:40 PM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: [Sprinklerforum] 13R water supply question

I have a 13R sprinkler system whose water supply is a 2" combination
domestic/fire line run from the city main into the mechanical room. The plumber
installed the line and pulled the proper permits for the installation of that
domestic line. The plumber left a 2" outlet left inside of the building as a
fire supply. The local building department uses an outside corporation to
review and handle permits / inspections called NIC or National Inspection
Corporation. NIC is requiring that we as the fire protection contractor are
also required to apply and pull a permit and perform all tests required for a
fire line on the 2" domestic service that was installed. I am looking for
backup to argue this requirement as it seems redundant and unnecessary.  I
cannot find where this is specifically addressed either in NFPA codes or the
IBC. Does anyone have any information that may be applicable to this situation?
Thank you, Chris