From: "Kyle.Montgomery" <kmontgom...@aerofire.com>
Date: 8/8/24 3:34 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: Discussion list on issues relating to automatic fire sprinklers
<sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org>
Subject: [Sprinklerforum] Mattress Storage Classification

I’m working with a client who wants to store mattresses in racks. They are foam
mattresses, so these would be group A expanded plastics (EP). Each of the
mattresses is rolled up and packaged in a cardboard box. So, cartoned expanded
plastics (CEP), right?

The customer (who is very knowledgeable about the mattress manufacturing
process and requirements) wants to argue that mattresses should not just
automatically fall into the “High-hazard (Group A Expanded)” category because
of the strict flammability standards that mattresses are legally required to
meet, specifically CFR 1633 – Standard for the Flammability (Open Flame) of
Mattress Sets.

What are your thoughts on this? I have my own ideas, but I was wondering if
anyone had gone down the path before. Do you think the client’s assertion has
merit? Why or why not?

Thanks.

Kyle Montgomery
Aero Automatic Sprinkler Co.