On 03/02/2015 01:46 PM, Jaleks wrote:

Am Montag, 2. März 2015 22:18:00 UTC+1 schrieb Carlos Córdoba:

  Hi,

First, a bit of context: completion in the Editor and the Python/IPython
consoles are handled in very different ways. The reason is that we can't
evaluate the code users are developing in the Editor to get completions
(because it can be syntactically incorrect at any given moment). So we
use two third-party libraries (rope and jedi) that try to get completions
without evaluation.

That's why completion in our consoles will always be better than in the
Editor. But that's a limitation of Python in general, and something not
only suffered by Spyder but by any other Python IDE (e.g. PyDev, PyCharm,
etc).

Thx for the info…

Second, some good news: since Spyder 2.3.3 you can get completions of
PyGtk by installing the Jedi library, version 0.8.1. 2.3.3 is the first
version that comes with integration with Jedi, older versions don't support
it.

   I tried your examples and they are working fine for me.

Thats where I notice again, that I am a Spyder beginner: Is there anything
special I have to configure for it to work?
I even removed python-rope completely from my system and it still does not
make a (real) difference (just in IPython I now do not get an error
anymore, when typing 'Gtk.MessageDialog(' ) in Spyder itself everything is
just like before: no doc and no 'dialog.' / 'Gtk.' completion. (jedi
version is shown as OK, its 0.8.1final0)
Indeed I even just crashed Spyder, when fooling around more after
reinstalling rope. (Spyder 2.3.3 out of the zip file, started with
./bootstrap.py, console message: "QThread: Destroyed while thread is still
running")

My experience with bootstrap.py is that is really meant for use when you are doing development work on Spyder itself, not as a way of starting Spyder for general use. Try installing Spyder 2.3.3 system wide and then doing the imports.

Jaleks

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.kla...@aklaver.com