I installed Spyder on my 64-bit Ubuntu box from the repositories (apt-get).
When attempting to launch, I get splash screen and loading messages (in the
splash) until eventually it hangs. No window ever appears.

In an attempt to figure out the issue, I pulled down the git repo and
launched Spyder from bootstrap.py to the same result. Running it with
--debug gives the following output:

me@xubuntu:~/spyder$ python bootstrap.py --debug
> Executing Spyder from source checkout
> Revision 0bb07e0, Branch: master
> 01. Patched sys.path with /home/me/spyder
> 02. PySide is detected, selecting
> 0x. Switching debug mode on
> 03. Imported Spyder 3.0.0dev
>     [Python 2.7.6 64bits, Qt 4.8.6, PySide 1.2.1 on Linux]
> 04. Executing spyder.main()
> Bootstrap completed in 00:00:00.4500
> Start of MainWindow constructor
> End of MainWindow constructor
> *** Start of MainWindow setup ***
>   ..core actions
>   ..toolbars
>   ..tools
>   ..sift?
>   ..plugin: internal console
>     ..internal console: initializing
>   ..plugin: working directory
> X Error: BadCursor (invalid Cursor parameter) 6
>   Major opcode: 2 (X_ChangeWindowAttributes)
>   Resource id:  0x3
> X Error: BadCursor (invalid Cursor parameter) 6
>   Major opcode: 95 (X_FreeCursor)
>   Resource id:  0x3
> Requires Rope >=0.9.4
> Requires Jedi >=0.8.1;<0.9.0
> Instropection Plugin Loaded: fallback
> Plugins loaded: ['fallback']
> X Error: BadCursor (invalid Cursor parameter) 6
>   Major opcode: 2 (X_ChangeWindowAttributes)
>   Resource id:  0x3
> X Error: BadCursor (invalid Cursor parameter) 6
>   Major opcode: 2 (X_ChangeWindowAttributes)
>   Resource id:  0x3
> X Error: BadCursor (invalid Cursor parameter) 6
>   Major opcode: 95 (X_FreeCursor)
>   Resource id:  0x3
> X Error: BadCursor (invalid Cursor parameter) 6
>   Major opcode: 2 (X_ChangeWindowAttributes)
>   Resource id:  0x3
> X Error: BadCursor (invalid Cursor parameter) 6
>   Major opcode: 95 (X_FreeCursor)
>   Resource id:  0x3
> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pandas/rpy/__init__.py:11:
>  FutureWarning: The pandas.rpy module is deprecated and will be removed
> in a future version. We refer to external packages like rpy2.
> See here for a guide on how to port your code to rpy2: http:
> //pandas.pydata.org/pandas-docs/stable/r_interface.html
>   FutureWarning)
>   ..widgets
> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/matplotlib/cbook.py:137:
>  MatplotlibDeprecationWarning: The matplotlib.delaunay module was
> deprecated in version 1.4. Use matplotlib.tri.Triangulation instead.
>   warnings.warn(message, mplDeprecation, stacklevel=1)
> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/module.py:178: Warning: cannot
> register existing type 'GtkWidget'
>   g_type = info.get_g_type()
> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/module.py:178: Warning: cannot add
> class private field to invalid type '<invalid>'
>   g_type = info.get_g_type()
> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/module.py:178:
>  Warning: cannot add private field to invalid (non-instantiatable) type
> '<invalid>'
>   g_type = info.get_g_type()
> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/module.py:178:
> [...]

The X Errors are not the problem as that is just a minor annoyance as
documented here <https://code.google.com/p/spyderlib/issues/detail?id=1727>.

Some searching around turned up this
<https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/796060/> similar result which
leads me to think that the issue might have something to do with
conflicting Gtk library versions loaded at the same time. I intend on
digging through the code to see if I can't find out at what point
conflicting libraries are being loaded and try to force one consistent
version (assuming that is the issue). I figured I would post my
issues/progress here in case anyone has encountered or will encounter the
same issue.

I should note that launching spyder -l from the terminal succeeds; I get a
Spyder python terminal as expected.