When I do as you suggest, the IPython console tells me:

These commands were executed:

>>> from __future__ import division

>>> from sympy import *

>>> x, y, z, t = symbols('x y z t')

>>> k, m, n = symbols('k m n', integer=True)

>>> f, g, h = symbols('f g h', cls=Function)

at startup.

I have several questions here:

1) certainly I can invoke the same commands without ticking any options
within the preferences. However if I do so, the printed result of doing 1+1
looks different. So it seems as if by ticking the option which you suggest
'something' else is done automatically in addition? If so, could you pls.
tell me what?

2) looking at the output which I get if ticking the options within the
preferences, it rather seems as if this option at least also invokes things
like:

init_printing(use_latex=True,fontsize='10pt')

which kind of seems in line with that you say that I would need to have
LaTeX installed (which I have).

Now if this would be the case, then this is not really a MathJax output.
Right?

3) Are you aware of a way to change the font size of the symbolic (LaTeX?
or whatever) output?

(Actually the sole reason for asking if I can get MathJax output is that I
cannot change the fontsize for LaTeX output from sympy within Spyder. So I
was vaguely hoping that maybe with MathJax this might work as it does in
Jupyter notebooks.)