Thank you so much for replying.  I posted more details in a stack overflow
question since my question was not showing up here.

The behaviour is:

   - the editor shows a red line above each occurence of #%%
   - press Ctrl-Enter in any cell N
   - console shows runcell(0,...
   - the whole file runs as if no cells were defined

Everything is installed using conda

  spyder                                       4.0.1-py37_0 --> 4.1.2-py37_0
  spyder-kernels                               1.8.1-py37_0 --> 1.9.0-py37_0

It's very puzzling on top of being annoying!