the latest recipe that shows this is:

http://alembic.readthedocs.org/en/latest/cookbook.html#sharing-a-connection-with-a-series-of-migration-commands-and-environments

that includes sharing the connection and running command.upgrade.

cursors getting stuck usually happens when tables are being dropped, because
they are locked.  this is more unusual on the setup, but you’d need to see if
the cursor is attempting to execute a statement against a resource that is
locked by another connection (often a previous test that didn’t tear down).