tim.mitch...@leapfrog3d.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to have a post-deployment check that verifies the sqlalchemy
> metadata in the code matches what is in the database.
> I was thinking that doing something like
>
> alembic revision --autogenerate --sql > changes.sql
>
> and then check changes.sql.  However, alembic tells me that "Using --sql with
> --autogenerate does not make any sense", and indeed, if you hack the code in
> command.py to remove the check you are blessed with tracebacks that do not
> make any sense (to me anyway ;-) ).
>
> Can anyone suggest a way I might do this?

You’re actually doing something that they are starting to do in Openstack,
so luckily I can confirm this is feasible.

You want to use the autogenerate API directly. Call upon compare_metadata
documented at
http://alembic.readthedocs.org/en/latest/api.html#autogeneration. Ideally,
if “diff == []”, then there’s no changes.