Hi Mike,
I've just checked my code and I noticed that I already use existing_type
(not sure what was wrong with the documentation in that aspect).

Can you elaborate a bit on specifying custom rules as you mentioned?
I tried issuing a drop_constraint before calling the alter_column but that
doesn't stop alter_column from trying to remove the check constraint by
itself, leading to the same exception.
On the other hand, I didn't see any parameter in the alter_column method
that accepts a constraint name

Thanks,
Ofir