Alembic 0.8.6
cx-Oracle 5.1.3
SQLAlchemy 1.0.14

I have a column named "scope" (without the double quotes) with an existing
type of SmallInt and I'm trying to change it to an Integer with the
following line:
op.alter_column('t_rule', 'scope', existing_type=sa.SmallInteger(), type_=sa
.Integer())

Unfortunately, this results with the following error:
sqlalchemy.exc.DatabaseError: (cx_Oracle.DatabaseError) ORA-00904: :
invalid identifier
 [SQL: 'ALTER TABLE t_rule MODIFY scope INTEGER']

I have found out that the following syntax does work:
ALTER TABLE t_rule MODIFY "SCOPE" INTEGER;

(Notice the caption of "scope" and the double quotes)

I'm not sure why this happens since *scope *doesn't seem to be a reserved
word.

Is it a bug or am I doing something wrong?