On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 2:00 PM, Michał Bultrowicz
<michalbultrow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey!
>
> What approach would you recommend if we want to run some revisions outside
> of a transaction, but then run the other ones normally?
>
> Let me illustrate that. Let's say we have revisions 1,2,3,4,5. The database
> is currently at revision 1, so we need to run 2-5. The problem is that 4 is
> an operation that can't be in a transation, specifically CREATE INDEX
> CONCURRENTLY from Postgres (synchronous creation of the index would block
> writes to a table, which is unacceptable in production).
> So we'd like to run, 2 and 3 in a transaction, then do 4 outside of a
> transactionand wait for it, then run 5 in a transaction.

so you want to set transaction_per_migration:

http://alembic.zzzcomputing.com/en/latest/api/runtime.html?highlight=transaction_per_migration#alembic.runtime.environment.EnvironmentContext.configure.params.transaction_per_migration

you're still safe if 1,2,3 or 5 fail since they are in their own
transaction and it will stop at that migration if a problem happens.

then in migration 4, inside the migration script get a separate
connection, which has to be an ".autocommit' connection with psycopg2:

with
op.get_bind().engine.connect().execution_options(isolation_level='AUTOCOMMIT')
as conn:
   conn.execute("CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY")