Hello Sandro,
On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 01:25, Sandro Dentella wrote:
>   Is there a way in sqlalchemy to query for a list of tables in a db that is
>   portable among the different backends? I don't thhink so and one may argue
>   is not something that should be provided by SA, but would be very
>   handy...

Each database has their own method to do this.  MySQL and SQLite use
completely non-standard commands for this.  Postgres, Oracle, Firebird,
DB2, and SAPDB/MAXDB all have their individually defined system tables
which you have to query to obtain that information.  Every DB is
different and can/often varies from version to version.
The information_schema is an attempt to provide a standard interface.

Basically you have to roll your own and realize that you'll have
to fix it for each version of the database that you wish to use.

HTH,
William.