Before I started using SQLalchemy, I have configured the pysqlite
module to not use Unicode.  My application will only use ASCII
characters, so I thought this may prevent future headaches.  However,
with SQLalchemy, statements such as
"sqlalchemy.create_engine(self.db_uri, encoding='latin1')" don't appear
to have any effect.

So far, I've not had any problem.  But I don't understand why I have a
mixture of Unicode and non-Unicode database results.  Is there a way to
get sqlite to stop giving Unicode strings with SQLAlchemy like there is
pysqlite?  (With pysqlite, I'd set the connection attribute
text_factory to 'str'.)

Thanks.