I am using PickleType, and Binary on the same table.. I'll see if I can
come up with a small test. These fields are being written back every
time any other field changes, even when they haven't changed.

Regarding transactions. I thought session.flush was just UOW work and
didn't actually do commits.

I need a outside transaction wrapper that begins when a web request is
received, and commits if the web request was processed w/o error. In
that use case, session.flush should not actually commit it's changes.

My second use case (described in the original message) is that
occassionaly, within this transaction wrapper, I will need to make a
commit once in a while.

So write me up as really confused now.. I thought session was just UOW
and didn't handle low-level transactions at all.. I am using explicit
connections and sessions..