Sure Martin,

Basically the answer is no, DISTINCT isn't available there.

However, the SelectResults extension turns out to have sorting and filtering
functions that can be used to further refine the query in ways not possible
with a regular select_by(). It did the job for me and has a nice interface.
Recommended.

Rick