> Would there be any reason why someone might want to have a column type
> that's *not* derived from sqlalchemy.types.AbstractType?
 An exception message like "Second argument to
> Column() should be a type, but (whatever) was found instead" would
> probably have saved you some searching, right?

Yes, indeed, it would be fine when constructing the Column failed
immediately.
But Column.__init__ says: "This can be any subclass of
types.AbstractType (...) or user-defined types."
So probably Column.__init__ is not the place where the check is
possible :-( and I'm not yet familiar with SA to say where it could
fail most early.
 Ruben

PS: Sorry it took much time until I could read and answer