[...]  simpliest thing
would be to use a Session that has flush() overidden. or an engine that
overrides execute() to check for INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE statements and
throws an error [...]

I tried the ReadOnlySession class which overrides the flush() func. Works like a charm, this adds a "security net" in my apps as I cannot actually even add any grants, so this is very useful for me. Thanks.

Moreover, in the 2nd scenario, if app #1 can insert rows and app #2 can't, this means there must be different db users (per app) with specific grants for each, which adds complexity and may results in an "evil maintainance"...

Cheers,

--
Sébastien LELONG
sebastien.lelong[at]sirloon.net