That sounds preferable to me instead of forcing everyone to use a subclass.

Any feedback from MSSQL users?

If we were to do this, then all Columns specified as type Unicode() would
now be CREATE'd as NVARCHAR instead of VARCHAR. Note again that regular
VARCHAR works for utf-8, so nothing is going away and there would be no new
type requirement -- mostly the worry is about breaking existing code with
Unicode() types. Is there any out there?

Rick