Michael Bayer wrote:
> ok, dont change anything in turbogears yet.  i think i have fixed the
> problem, please try out rev 2133.  ticket #387 explains the issue.

This issue seems very similar to one I found using the MySQL Zope
database adapter. The symptom was the same (MySQL has gone away), and I
think the underlying issue might be the same.  Both Alchemy and Zope DA
starting having this problem only after upgrading to MySQL 5.

It seems that the Alchemy patch resolves the issue while closing the
connection, but the real problem might be that the database closed the
connection to the client, and the client was never made aware?  The
Zope DA uses a isConnected method to determine the validity of the
client connection.  The fix for it involved making this  method a
little more robust using the MySQL connection's ping, which (usually)
automatically reconnects to the DB as necessary.  If a
MySQLdb.OperationalError is thrown while pinging, it closes the
connection.  Perhaps the issue is similar for Alchemy, it's just not
manifesting itself until the connection is being closed.  (Perhaps it
is being closed *because* the connection is invalid?)

I'm not sure if these issues are related, but they seem to be very
similar.  Just thought this information might give more ideas/another
angle with which to view the problem.