ok, thats quasi-good news, since it means i can just make the default
"client_side_cursors=True" for now (i.e. the less risky change) and do
a release.  over on the psycopg2 list, their general sentiment seems to
be "well why arent you using LIMIT ?".

which is an interesting thing, because since most of my experience is
with oracle, im very accustomed to fetching only the first few rows of
an enormous result set...this because oracle doesnt have a LIMIT
keyword (it can be done by limiting based on ROW NUMBER OVER ORDER BY,
which while SA does generate those phrases for oracle, its really
complicated and not as flexible as just plain LIMIT), and also oracle
pretty much works with server side cursors.   its like totally normal
for me to fetch 100 rows of a 3-million row result set, and as long as
that result is not ordered, oracle doesnt even need to locate any more
than the 100 rows you fetched.  so whats interesting is that this
slight difference has a deep reaching effect on programming
habits...whats totally normal (and necessary) in oracle invites
derision from the PG gang ....