I seem to have stumbled upon a bug, but perhaps I'm just using
MapperExtension wrong.  Anyway, here's some code that doesn't work:

-----------
from sqlalchemy import *
from sqlalchemy.orm import MapperExtension

global_session = create_session()

metadata = BoundMetaData('mysql://[EMAIL PROTECTED]/napa')

test_table = Table('test', metadata,
                    Column('tid', Integer, primary_key = True),
                    Column('modified', DateTime),
                    Column('foo', String(1024)))

class Test(object):
     def __init__(self, foo):
         self.foo = foo

class ModifiedMapper(MapperExtension):
     #whenever something is changed, this will make sure the modified
is set
     def before_update(self, mapper, connection, instance):
         instance.modified = func.now()

testmapper = mapper(Test, test_table, extension=ModifiedMapper)

def main():
         test = Test("foo")
         global_session.save(test)
         global_session.flush()

         global_session.delete(test)
         global_session.flush()

if __name__=="__main__":
     main()

---------

And here's the stack trace:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "test.py", line 33, in ?
     main()
   File "test.py", line 25, in main
     test = Test("foo")
   File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/sqlalchemy/orm/mapper.py", line
548, in init
   File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/sqlalchemy/orm/mapper.py", line
1365, in <lambda>
   File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/sqlalchemy/orm/mapper.py", line
1372, in _do
TypeError: unbound method get_session() must be called with
ModifiedMapper instance as first argument (got nothing instead)

Anybody have any idea what that all means?  Am I doing something
wrong or is it a bug?

-Michael