nothing is wrong with it.  the tricky part is, what keys are you
caching on ?

also i have an older library called "MyghtyUtils" which creates
somewhat of a facade around memcached, and you can swap in DBM, file,
memory, etc.  its a little bit of a mess and needs an overhaul...but it
serves as the cache backend for Myghty, Mako, and if i ever built a 2nd
level cache on SA for it I would use that.  but i dont have a deep
insight into a generically useable 2nd level cache right now.  usually
an application caches data at a level slightly above that of SQL, i.e.
the IDs of objects are keys.  but that seems a little trivial to me.